If you love Thai KFC’s spicy chicken rice bowls and want to make it at home, now you can with this fun recipe!
For the Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into nugget size pieces
- 2–3 cups or more self-rising flour, or all-purpose flour with 1 tsp baking powder adding to each cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 quart frying oil
- 4 servings of jasmine rice
For the Thai Spicy Sauce
- 1 shallot cut into strips
- 1/3 cup lime juice, to taste
- 1/3 cup fish sauce, to taste
- 2 tbsp sugar, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp Thai dried chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tbsp roasted rice powder, to taste
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro stems and leaves
- Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes in the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- While the chicken is marinating you can make the Thai spicy sauce. Mix all the ingredients together and taste it. We like it to taste more on the sour and spicy side, but make it however you prefer.
- Mix the chicken pieces with the flour until each piece is white and not sticky. You may need to add more flour than you expect and that’s ok.
- Warm the oil in a wok on medium-high.
- Once you drop a piece of flour batter in the wok and it sizzles and starts to fry up the wok is hot and ready.
- Add some of the chicken into the wok. Make sure it isn’t overcrowded because it wont fry as well or as quickly. We usually have to fry it in a few batches.
- Fry the chicken until golden on the outside and then flip it over to fry the other side. Other than that, try not to touch the chicken too much while it’s frying.
- It should only take a few minutes for it to cook since it’s cut in smaller pieces. Once it’s golden, on both sides, place it on a baking sheet covered with paper towels.
- Once chicken is all fried, place jasmine rice in each bowl. Add the chicken and sprinkle some of the sauce over each bowl.
- Or you can do it like we have recently and dip the chicken into the sauce. Whichever way makes your heart the happiest.