Need a refreshing Thai salad to cool you down while heating up your tastebuds? Make Larb at home with this simple recipe!
- 1 pound of ground chicken, turkey, pork or beef
- 1/4–1/2 c. water
- 2–3 shallots, thinly sliced or 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- juice of 2–3 limes to taste
- 2–3 tbsp of fish sauce to taste
- 2–3 tsp of sugar to taste
- 1–2 tbsp of roasted rice powder
- 1 tsp.-1 tbsp. Thai chili flakes to taste
- 1 c. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 c. fresh whole mint leaves
- 1/2 c. green onions chopped in 1/4 in. (optional)
- Cook the meat in 1/4 cup of water in a wok or saucepan. Add more water if it’s becoming dry.
- Once the meat is cooked, turn off the heat and throw in the shallots.
- Mix it up to cook the shallots until they wilt some.
- Add in the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, roasted rice powder and chili flakes by teaspoon, until you reach your desired flavor.
- Let the meat cool to around room temperature or so before adding the cilantro, mint, and green onions, so the herbs stay fresh.
- It’s best to eat this fresh, like any salad, so try to serve it as soon as you’ve stirred it up. But if life happens and you can’t serve it immediately, just say, mai pen rai and enjoy it!
- I love eating larb with Thai sticky rice, which is what it’s traditionally served with in Thailand, and steamed veggies like cabbage, which can help cool off the heat from the Thai chili flakes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Thai
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 3-4
Keywords: larb recipes, larb, what is larb, larb gai, larb chicken recipe, recipe for larb chicken, larb recipe thai, gai larb